Be still and know that I am God.
Psalm 46:10

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

His gifts

I have been a little "late" with my blog posts (which is really a good thing for me!) but this one, although late, is dedicated to all of the Fathers out there who I personally know and appreciate and am thankful to have in my Life. Here is a shout out to you for a job well done! For doing the very best you can.

Better late than never right?

I,  recently, have had the rare pleasure of having some really good heart-to-heart conversations with more than a few of human being "male" persons, instead of my usual females in all "communication" forms.

I must say, it has been quite interesting, intriguing, and fun!

At one point last week, I was actually the only female standing out in our backyard among 8 males. I decided to have a seat and just observe. It was quite interesting I must tell you!

The many laugh out loud belly laughs I had were good. Really, really good for me.

I've chatted with males from all walks of Life ... kids in the neighborhood ... peers of my children ... my own sons ... family members ... a widower ... single guys and divorced ... dating ... looking to date ... single Fathers ... those married with children and those without ... and of course, to my very own husband, Mark.
{I sure have been quite busy huh? Actually, I've been doing a lot more listening than anything else ... REALLY! ... no writing~}

I even got to sit down for a few hours with a married Father who was beyond ready to leave his Wife and wanted my advice. {yikes ... what to say? gulp~}

I sort of knew that all he really wanted me to do was just listen. I realized he wasn't really asking me what he should do, per se, but rather I think he just wanted someone to understand what he was going through. To know that he wasn't alone in the world. To know that there is such a thing as Hope.

After all, he was in the deepest, darkest valley of his Life sitting there at our back patio table.

And looking for answers to some of life's hardest questions.

Mark was there, too, plus all of the kids flying around here & there. He, also, was doing pretty much the same thing as I. Nodding. Asking a few questions from time to time.

Listening. Just being there. Present.  

I have been pleasantly surprised at how much  "information" that I have been able to gather by just being still.

There is so much that I did not know!, or quite "get", and I have 3 right underneath my nose! {Well, if counting the animals then we have a total of 5!} I've even "observed" their behavior. So strange ... the "same" thing happens between my cats ~ all this "wrestling" going on all of the time in every room of our house. Huh?!

And it always leads to some very strange, bizarre noises! From males and cats alike. Essentially, a fight. Always.

But, apparently, I learned this is how males show affection?! Yah, I don't quite "get" that one really ~ ;)

Plus, I grew up with a Dad and a younger brother that I learned so much from.

Mark & I had been doing a type of "study" together in recent months. He was reading "For Men Only" and I was reading "For Women Only" by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn .... just to sort of help us understand each other better to move onto the next Season of our Lives.

A few weeks back in my cleaning and organizing, I came across his book laying around and decided to read it, just for curiosity sake. 

I figured that maybe I would learn something about myself. More about him.

Us.

And I sure did. But more importantly, I learned that we really have more similarities than differences, in the big scheme of things.

I learned that that book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" only holds so much weight.

I just always assumed that men lived on a different "planet" than I. I'm sure for a fact that Mark has thought the same thing about me! Probably more so! I honestly believe males do go to a different planet sometimes (they are called caves or dens or whatever), but I learned that going to their planet isn't such a bad thing after all. 

Necessary. Critical. Needed.

They are just "wired" differently ... designed by a perfect God. With a perfect plan. A perfect Design.

What I do know for sure is that after reading the two books and processing all of my time spent with various males, is that they, also, just want what everybody wants.

To feel loved. Known and loved anyway.

The best thing of all, though, is to believe in it whole-heartedly. Without a doubt. None.

That's called Trust. The real kind.

I say Yes! to that.

Of course, I needed to add the "visuals" to complete the story. Without them, the pictures taken and the music, the Story just doesn't feel complete.

However, due to "technical" issues {always and of course! and NOT my fault!}, I am unable to share any of those with you just yet. So, please stay tuned!

All in due time.

What I will share with you now in closing is that what I see from behind the camera is one very happy guy! ... and kids! ... but what he doesn't see (I don't think?!) and quite realize is just how happy the girl is, also, ... his Wife ... who is takin' the picture of all of them because of the gift she got first.

Love.

Don't you just love that word? I sure do!

Simple & sweet.

God is good and faithful ... all of the time.
{You'll just have to trust me on that one ok? ;)}

I hope you made some really good Father's Day memories, ones that you will keep close to your heart for always.

I know I did.

Thank you, first and foremost, to my Dad for a better than job well done. And for all of the advice, spoken or not, inadvertently passed onto me or through someone else ... I was always watching, listening and learning. :) Still am. Probably always will. There is just this "thing" about girls and their Dad's. :)

Probably all females. We really, truly, do remember (& keep track of) everything!! Some, like me, actually write it all down.

And, then, of course, to the Father of my own children, Mark ... my Husband.

Thank you~ - those two simple words - for all that you've done for me, us, our family just don't seem quite adequate enough for all that needs to be said.

Some things are better felt with the heart.

And yes! all of it leaves me quite speechless. And that's a good thing!
{But, only sometimes! ... I can't stay quiet for long!} ;)

Thank you for reading my blog and for following Our Story.

I hope you "stay tuned." :)

Because, by now I think you can all agree with us~ ... that there is never a dull moment at the Grade's!

No comments: