Tonight, I am feeling something called bittersweet. My friend, Laura, died today. Her suffering ended, but ours began. That is how life goes. She leaves behind 3 children who really needed their mom. She was a mother, daughter, sister and friend who will be deeply missed.
Laura, simply, made the world brighter. I feel as though a 'spark' has gone out in the world. If you knew her, you'd understand. She had a heart for God and a zest for life.
Her life ended way too soon.
Life is interesting, isn't is? I am waiting for the same "news" about my grandma. She will turn 100 years old on February 25th, but I don't know if she will "make it." We are all excited for her to make that milestone, but I don't think it matters much to her. We visit her every year on her birthday, but our travel plans to see her in San Diego are on hold, for now.
She has lived a good, long life...99 years! Can you even imagine? Because of that, it makes it easier to understand and accept it, doesn't it? But for someone like Laura, I am left feeling frustrated because the answer to the "why" of things is not for me to know.
There comes a time when questions cease and faith begins. I learned this a long time ago from my dear mentor and friend who had suffered loss herself.
The past few days have left me feeling on edge and sleepless, as I've waited for the news about these people that I love. That dreaded call. I remember it well when my mom was dying. Yet, when I think of my dear friend who is now in heaven - completely known - I can't help feeling the sweetness. She met Jesus today. Her suffering and pain ended instantaneously, as she took hold of His hand.
Our life is but a blink. This loss has sure put things into perspective for me as I am the same age as hers. Laura has taught me to savor each and every moment.
Tomorrow is not guaranteed to anybody.
I feel the bitterness, as I think of her life taken too soon. I will feel the bitterness at her funeral because there is no sense to be made of this. I will shed a whole bunch of tears for days when I think of her kids. I will hug her mom tight because I understand what it feels like to lose a child.
As you go to sleep tonight, would you please pray for this family? And I hope you feel the sweet, as I do, when you realize the whole purpose of life. I know Laura knows full well, "Well done, good a faithful servant. " I know God is good, and He is right there beside them. I know this for sure.
He said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will return
there. The LORD gives, and the LORD takes away. May the name of the LORD
be blessed!" Job 1:21
1 comment:
So beautiful said, Lori. Thank you for sharing your heart and the heart of so many of us.
Post a Comment